Visa / Insurance

Do I need a visa to participate in the program? What procedures do I have to follow if I need a visa?

Visa application procedures differ by country/region. For visa information, check the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for countries and regions eligible for visa exemption, and follow the necessary procedures.
Applicants who need a visa must check “Yes” in the Application Form section asking whether or not you need a visa. Detailed information on necessary procedures will be notified to successful applicants.
As of February 2022, visa applications to attend HSI are not being accepted due to strict restrictions on entry into Japan to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Because the outlook for anti-COVID measures remains unsettled, we ask those outside Japan who wish to attend HSI to consider taking online courses.

I was granted permission for admission and obtained a visa. However, I will not be able to attend the program due to circumstances outside my control. What should I do and how can I cancel my visa?

You must contact the Hokkaido Summer Institute Managing Section immediately. To cancel a visa, the visa holder must go to the consulate in person to carry out visa cancellation procedures. For more details, please follow the instructions given to you by the Hokkaido Summer Institute Managing Section.

Do I need insurance even if I will only be staying in Japan for a short period of time?

Yes, you must take out travel insurance prior to departure from your country because you never know what could happen during your stay in Japan. All program participants must take out insurance to cover possible accidents, injuries, illnesses or other incidents. You are not allowed to take part in the HSI program without showing us a copy of an overseas travel insurance policy.

I’m an applicant from within Japan. What insurance should I take when I participate in the program?

Applicants from within Japan who have enrolled in an Employee Health Insurance (kenko hoken) or the country’s National Health Insurance (kokumin kenko hoken) are not required to take out another insurance.

If I receive medical care at a hospital, will I have to pay in cash even if I am insured?

As a general rule, you must pay full medical expenses in cash (Japanese yen) at hospitals. Keep in mind that payment by credit card is only accepted at major hospitals. In most cases these expenses will be reimbursed by your insurance company. If you take out travel insurance including cash-free payment service, there is no need for payment. The cash-free conditions vary by insurance company. Please check beforehand.