- Do I have to return home as soon as the program is finished?
– Participants who need visas
Participants who need visas can stay in Japan for the duration of the permitted period of stay. Please note that when participants apply for a visa, they must fill out and submit the Schedule of Stay form, describing their schedules in Japan, including those for sightseeing.
– Participants who do not need visas
Generally, participants who do not need visas can stay in Japan for up to 90 days. For those from Brunei, Indonesia, Thailand, and United Arab Emirates, please refer to the website of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan for the granted period of stay.
Note for both types of participants: Please note that participants cannot stay in the accommodations arranged by Hokkaido University (HU) after completion of the program, and that HU is not responsible for any accidents or other unforeseen events that may arise during the pre/post-program period.
- Can I receive an academic transcript from the program?
Yes. For more information, see the Academic transcript/ Credit Transfer / Credits / Grading System webpage.
- Is it possible for students to transfer credits earned in the Hokkaido Summer Institute program to their home institutions?
That depends on your home institution. Students wishing to transfer credits to their home institutions are strongly recommended to consult with their academic supervisors and the academic affairs office at their home institutions before submitting an application.
- Is there any limit to the number of courses / credits students can take?
No, there is not. However, since you need to prepare and review for each class carefully, please check the syllabuses and the schedules of the courses you want to take before course selection to avoid overappling of course periods. Some courses require time commitments outside of classroom hours.
- I applied for two courses. Is it possible that my application will only be accepted for one of them?
Yes. As each course has prerequisite and capacity, applicants may not be accepted for all of their desired courses.
- I applied, but was not granted permission for admission. Can you tell me why?
We are unable to answer questions regarding the details of admission qualification screening and the reasons why certain applicants were not granted permission for admission.
- I have submitted an application but have to withdraw due to circumstances outside my control. What should I do?
Use the Inquiry Form to let the Hokkaido Summer Institute Managing Section know of your withdrawal and the related circumstances.
- What kind of course assignment workload should I expect?
Each course page shows expected course assignment workloads.
- Is there any limit to the number of credits students can earn?
No, there is not. However, you need to prepare and review for each class carefully, please check the time table you want to take before course selection to avoid overlapping of course periods. some courses require time commitments outside of classroom hours.