Visa / Insurance


Program participants who stay in Japan for up to 90 days will require short-term visas, with the exception of those from countries and regions with which Japan has visa exemption arrangements. Overseas applicants are advised to check the list of such countries and regions on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website below before submitting application documents. Those who are granted permission for admission and need to apply for a visa will be informed of the necessary procedures once their courses are determined.

Website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan

Those who do not need a visa are not required to follow any particular procedures.
Please note that program participants are not allowed to engage in any remunerative activities regardless of whether or not they have a visa.


Program participants, who plan to come to Japan and take face-to-face courses, must take out travel insurance to cover possible accidents, injuries, illnesses or other incidents irrespective of their period of stay. Hokkaido University is not responsible for any unforeseen contingencies in which they may be involved. As such, they must follow the necessary procedures prior to departure from their country. Their insurance must cover death and medical care expenses due to sickness as well as accidental injury. Personal liability also must be covered by the insurance in the event of an accident that result in injury or property damage for which they will be held legally responsible.