I am undergraduate student. Can I take courses for graduate students?

No, you can’t. Each course has a designated level. Before you start your application, please check in the table below which level’s courses you can take:

Master’s students Ph.D. students
Undergraduate level check mark check mark check mark
Master’s level check mark check mark
Graduate level check mark check mark
Ph.D. level check mark


I am high school student. Can I apply?

In principle, high school students are not eligible to apply for this program, as it is intended for high school graduates and above. However, those who have particularly outstanding academic and research achievements and are willing to pursue their own themes at a higher level may be accepted to apply, so please contact to HSI office.

I don’t belong to the academic institution after I graduated from the university. Can I apply for the program?

Yes, we will accept high school graduates/ university graduates [i.e., Non-students] for the program from 2020.

How long does it take to receive screening results once an application has been submitted? *Only for students

We will inform applicants of screening results within a month after the application deadline. Check your incoming e-mail settings to ensure that you will receive e-mail from no-reply@oia.hokudai.ac.jp.

I received a notification of acceptance. What is the admission process? *Only for students

Please refer to the Application Guidelines for Current Students / Application Guidelines for Non-Students webpages and follow the admission process described in the e-mail notifying you of your acceptance.

I am not a native English speaker. Do I have to submit English proficiency test scores to participate in the program?

Yes. Since courses are taught in English, you must have the English proficiency necessary to understand and participate in the course(s) you wish to take.
Applicants must submit a score certificate below or Medium of Instruction certificate (MI).
TOEIC Listening & Reading, TOEIC IP, TOEFL iBT, TOEFL ITP, IELTS, The EIKEN Test in Practical English Proficiency, Duolingo English Test

Also, if non-native Japanese speaking applicants apply for courses in the HSI extension/professional program in Japanese, applicants are required  Japanese proficiency certificate.

Please refer to Application Guidelines for Current Students / Application Guidelines for Non-Students webpages for the detail.

Can I change my courses after submitting application?

No. As a general rule, we do not accept requests for course changes. Please consider your course selections carefully before submitting your application.
Before submitting your application for admission, please check class hours on the Courses webpage to avoid overlapping of classes.
If you want to cancel the courses after submitting application due to unavoidable circumstances, please let the Hokkaido Summer Institute Managing Section know your cancellation.

Is it possible to change my personal information and other data after submitting the application documents?

No changes to personal or other information in application documents may be made once submitted. Accordingly, care should be taken to ensure that such information is correct before submission. If your contact information changes after submitting application, please inform the Hokkaido Summer Institute Managing Section using the Inquiry Form.

When is the application deadline?

We set different application deadlines for each application, Please refer the Application Guidelines for Current Students / Application Guidelines for Non-Students webpages.

What should I do if I will graduate from the university before the HSI program starts?

Applicants who can’t submit certificate of student status have to apply as Non-students. Official Applicants who apply in the current student category should be registered as degree-program students at universities at the time of application and during the HSI program period.  However, those who are scheduled to graduate from their current university after April 1, 2023, and plan to enter graduate school by October 1, 2023, will be allowed to apply as a graduate student by submitting their current certificate of enrollment and certificate of passing the entrance examination of the school they plan to enter (alternatively, a copy of the acceptance letter). Please note that even if applicants meet the relevant requirements, those who do not submit a certificate of acceptance from the school they plan to go to, including cases where the school they will go to is undecided, will not be able to apply as university students.