- I have submitted an application but have to withdraw due to circumstances outside my control. What should I do?
- Use the Inquiry Form to let the Hokkaido Summer Institute Section know of your withdrawal and the related circumstances.
- Is there any limit to the number of courses students can take?
- No, there is not. However, since you need to prepare and review for each class, check the syllabuses of the courses you want to take before course selection to avoid overlapping of course periods if they require time commitments outside of classroom hours.
- I applied, but was not granted permission for admission. Can you tell me why?
- We are unable to answer questions regarding the details of admission qualification screening and the reasons why certain students were not granted permission for admission.
- Is there any limit to the number of credits students can earn?
- No, there is not.
- Is it possible for students to transfer credits earned in the Hokkaido Summer Institute program to their home institutions?
- That depends on the home institution. Students wishing to transfer credits to their home institutions must consult with their academic supervisors at their home institutions before submitting an application.
- What kind of course assignment workload should I expect?
- The syllabuses on the Courses webpage show expected course assignment workloads.
- When will I pay tuition and dormitory fees?
- You will be advised to pay those fees before the start of the program. Details will be provided to those granted permission for admission after screening results are determined.
- Do I have to return home as soon as the program is finished?
- – Students who need visas
Students who need visas can stay in Japan for the duration of the permitted period of stay. Please note that when students apply for a visa, they must fill out and submit the Schedule of Stay form, describing their schedules in Japan, including those for sightseeing.
– Students who do not need visas
Students who do not need visas can stay in Japan for up to 90 days.
Note for both types of students: Please note that students cannot stay in the accommodations arranged by Hokkaido University (HU) after completion of the program, and that HU is not responsible for any accidents or other unforeseen events that may arise during the post-program period.
- Can I receive an academic transcript from the program?
- Yes. For more information, see the Courses webpage.
- Can I take multiple courses?
- Yes. If you take more than one course, you must take care to avoid overlapping of classes. Before submitting an application for admission, be sure to check class hours on the Classes webpage.